Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Seeds are Sprouting!

I planted several varieties of vegetables and flowers five days ago, and all my Chinese cabbage and Italian broccoli have emerged. Everything else is taking its time. I hate waiting, I want to see all my little babies, make sure they're alive and healthy. The nice thing about the cabbage and broccoli emerging so early is that I hope to plant them in about five weeks, and that should work perfectly. All the other stuff I wouldn't want to plant for about ten more weeks, so they have time, but still, I want to see a few more sprouts! Not to mention I was hoping to sort of succession plant as the seedlings grew and I upgraded them to larger pots, I could use the empty smaller pots to start other fruits and vegetables that need less time to get to a plantable size.
That's the problem with vegetable gardening. Even though I'm extremely lucky to have a long growing season here, part of that growing season is so hot and can stay so dry for such a reputedly humid area, that I'd like to establish most of my plants by June, which means they should get a good head start.
I also hope these next ten weeks fly by, because I'm sure the neighbors behind me are not my biggest fans right now. The best place for me to grow my seedlings is in the spare bedroom window. For the best growth results, I installed a grow light. A grow light needs to stay on for about sixteen hours a day, roughly 6:00am to 10:00pm. Since the sun isn't rising until 7:00am and is setting at 6:00pm, that means there is five hours that this really bright grow light is casting light into our backyard. It's bright enough, I thought I had left the back porch light on. Even if I close the blinds, the light is still very visible.
So, grow all my other seedlings, so I do not waste so much electricity and incite yet further angst from my neighbors. I'm already dreading the talk I need to have with them about the property line. It goes further into their yard then we originally knew when we first started the garden. We've already had the preliminary discusion, and they seemed fine, but we'll see what they think when we start actully utilizing that area this weekend to extend the vegetable garden area for said seedlings who have yet to poke their heads above the soil. Grow, damnit, grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment