Wednesday, February 16, 2011

German Cuisine

I was recently invited to a potluck dinner party. I love to cook and love to show off even more, so I was excited, but had to ask- is there a theme? Good question, and the answer left me stumped for a minute. German food. Now, I'm going to sound ignorant for a second as I admit I was concerned that German cuisine left a lot to be desired. Beer, brats, and cabbage- that's all I could think of. I knew better than that, however, and thought back to German food I had before. I remember it being a bit heavy, but delicious. Then I Googled German food to get a few ideas.
When it comes to German cuisine, many of the foods are a bit heavier, due to the climate. Germany has a very cool climate, rarely exceeding 75 degrees Fahrenheit. On the flip side, the temperature rarely drops below 20 degrees. This makes it a good climate for meat animals and root vegetables, both huge parts of German cuisine. Also featured, beer, bread, cheese and a few other cool season vegetables. So, I had something to start with.
Thanks to my beer-brewing husband, I have found a new respect for beer. I'm still not its biggest fan, and definitely prefer a good Chardonnay, but the idea of a beer dish appealed. I decided on Beer Cheese soup, which would feature a dark German Bock and Gruyere cheese. Both, I knew, would add an amazing flavor. I couldn't leave it at that, though. I love to bake, and couldn't resist going with a popular choice- Black Forest Cake. The cake is named for the specialty liquor of the Black Forest mountain range region, Kirshwasser. I have a predilection for fruit and liquor, so this was a grande idea, in my opinion.
I conferred with the dinner hosts and other guests and a menu was agreed upon. Chicken schnitzel, spaetzle, bierocks, bretzle (yes, that's pretzel) with homemade mustard, meatloaf, feldsalat, and Black Forest cake. Turns out German food had more to offer than just beer, brats, and cabbage. Some of us couldn't even eat the next day!
Here's the recipe for the Beer Cheese Soup. Good stuff!

1 Tbsp butter + 2 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 yellow onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 medium-large potatoes, cubed
1/3 cup flour
12 oz bottle dark German Bock beer
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste
10 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
2 oz medium cheddar, shredded

Heat oil and butter together in a large pot on medium-high. Add garlic and onions once butter is melted. Saute for 1 minute, turn heat down to medium, then add carrot, celery and potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the flour gradually and stir in for about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk. Then add beer, mustard, hot sauce and Cajun seasoning. Salt and pepper to taste. Lower heat to low, add cheese a handful at a time, stirring between each handful. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning on the bottom. The soup is ready once the potatoes are soft but not mushy.
This made enough for about 6 servings. I topped with green onions, and my husband suggested bacon, also. Enjoy!

I'm glad I opened my eyes to German food, and hope you will remember that trying new things can open your mind to so many great experiences. If that fails, just drink a little extra beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment