Friday, June 7, 2013

It's been too long...

I cannot believe I haven't posted in so long.
The garden is doing well. I've scaled back quite a bit this year, due to time availability issues, but I am still growing tomatoes, peppers, garlic, radishes, peas, chard, carrots, potatoes, and plenty of herbs.
I plan on getting fruits when they're in season and continuing my fresh fruit liqueurs. They are dangerously delicious, and so easy to do! As I begin them, I'll let you know how easy it is. I really want to try making my own maraschino cherries this year, as I just found out how bad the store bought ones are- corn syrup, food dyes, blech. I will need to order some Maraschino liquor from DrinkUpNY.com.
I also hope to get my business plan going. I have finally decided on a business- Dessert Bar and Café. My friends and family tease my about my boozy desserts, but I think it could be a cool business. The only problem is that I would really need a place with a lot of foot traffic, and I'm not sure I could afford it. Hopefully between bank loans and a Kickstarter campaign, I could raise enough money, but then the bigger question is how much money can be made between delicious desserts, alcohol, and coffee?
To supplement, I also plan to teach people how to cook. It's amazing how the skill of being able to feed oneself is quickly becoming a lost art. I want to restart it.

I made a pot pie last night. I came home, it had been raining all day, and all I wanted was some comfort food. It's fairly easy to make a basic pie crust, and we had onions, carrots, garlic, peas, as well as cooked chicken. I cheated and used cream of chicken soup mixed with milk for the filling, but sometimes, for time saving as well as using what's available, it's okay to cheat. I added a touch of our homemade habanero hot sauce (more for flavor than heat) and come curry and coriander. It was delicious!
That's the kind of thing I want to teach. How to keep staples around, and how to use them along with leftovers or similar to make good, quick meals. I didn't follow a recipe for the pot pie. I just knew what I wanted in it and how I wanted it too taste. Okay, I did have to follow a recipe for the pie crust, but my point is- cooking does not have to be complicated, expensive or laborious. What is should be is fun and nourishing.
Anywho, I am off to plan what we will be cooking while we are camping this weekend!
TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment